Sunday, December 15, 2013

Aliyah With My Canon Camera

I shoot with a few different kids. Taha was the first, then his sister, Aliyah. Richard Jones' kid, Alexa, also has been out on the photo trail with me. Whenever the shoot arrives, I have just three rules.

One, listen to me at all times. Two, do what I say, as long as it seems reasonable. Three, watch what you are doing with my camera gear- your mom cannot replace it, nor can I.

We always seem to have a blast.

 Aliyah and the Canon XTi.

Today, the 14th of December, is no different. Aliyah bundles up, gloves and beanie, and an extra hoodie. We head towards my house, a dozen blocks away, to meet the FedEx guy. He's delivering my Canon EF 70-300mm, from the Canon repair factory, where it underwent repair.

Now that it's mine again, I aim to find some herons or geese to photograph.

Timing is awesome, and just as we arrive at my home, so does FedEx, with his big box truck, and my big zoom lens.

Inspected and mounted on the Canon 7D, we are about ready to shoot outdoors, in foggy and damp Oregon, with its typical rainforest-like December.

 Photo by Aliyah Haji-Mohamed

“I'm hungry.”

“You want some leftover pizza?” I lie and tell her it was last night's. It was really Thursday night's dinner, two nights ago. It is still very good, and Aliyah devours it.

“What kind of soda is this?”

I tell her it is Vernors Ginger Ale. “The best,” I say.

We see many birds in the opening minutes of the photoshoot. Aliyah wants to photograph every one. But the kid has my Canon XTi and the EF 50mm f1.8, a gem, although not for photographing birds. So I tell her, to just shoot “scenes,” both large and small.

“Just remember, you have no zoom, so don't try to get close-up bird photos.”

We make our way towards downtown, zig-zagging northeast through west Albany, criss-crossing holly covered trees and berry-eating, red-breasted robins. At the hospital, Aliyah shoots street photos of dog-walkers and waving flags. At the canal, along the filbert shell landscaping, she notices signs of many other dog-walkers.

“There's a lot of poop here,” she notes.

 Photo by Aliyah Haji-Mohamed

At the entrance to Bryant Park, she spies a river scene, complete with a train bridge. I shoot from this spot often, but wasn't going to stop today.

“Can I take a picture of it?” Aliyah asks.

“Sure, fire away.”

We spend a few moments there, above the Calapooia River, and the rushing waters. The sounds of the running river, and the kid's questions, are all at once soothing, cool, and fun.

We move on to Montieth Park, home of “River Rhythms” and giant osprey. No osprey lately, but plenty of geese and herons.

The geese let the whole world know we arrive. Aliyah shoots them through the fence railing, as I move quietly down the boardwalk dock.

Aliyah sees the Great Blue Heron, silent and still, a hundred feet from the lookout dock.

“Wow,” is all she mutters.

The egrets that also hang out here, are perched, as usual, on top of the dock pylons. They watch us nonchalantly. It is a somewhat different story with the heron, as its piercing yellow eyes never seem to move. The bird watches us, and the water, for any sign.

We take about one-hundred photos. Some are good, some are entertaining, and some are garbage. The 70-300 still has issues in low light, and combined with the 7D's unfortunate similar problems with low light, the photos of the heron do not look awesome. They are simply mediocre.

After shooting for half-an-hour, we head into downtown, with its tinsel and holiday lights, shining in the daytime fog. Aliyah likes to shoot life, like I do. She watches for interesting people or buildings, and she watches my camera. Tuned in and focused, the Canon XTi is in good hands with Aliyah.

It is not her first shoot, and she has remembered lessons well. The “half-shutter” focus, the use of “framing” technique, and a general appreciation for good photos, has served her well.

Aliyah Haji-Mohamed is a photographer.


On the way home, we stop at Hasty Freeze, for the best fries in town.

And ice-cream, of course.





Aliyah's photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thompson's Mills State Park in Shedd, Oregon

Copyright Ronald Borst - April 6, 2017