Sunday, November 16, 2014

Shining a Light on Lung Cancer at Timber Linn Memorial Park

Cancer awareness, although very good, could be much better. In Albany on Sunday, November 16, the Lung Cancer Alliance and local health professionals gathered to talk about and raise awareness about lung cancer.

Event organizer Brandy Skelton of Good Samaritan Hospital in Corvallis lost her father to lung cancer in 2007, and has since been an active leader in the campaign to educate the public about the crippling and deadly disease. "I became involved because I wanted to be proactive," Skelton said.

The outdoor event boasted speakers and hot coffee during a typically cold November backdrop of visible breath. To say the attendees and speakers were cold would be accurate. The near freezing temps could be seen from the speakers' breaths.

The cancer talk featured doctors Kevin Ewanchyna, Eric Sharp, and Jeffrey Lear. Topics included eating habits, diets that include antioxidants, avoiding smoking products, and group-sourced support groups. Additional information centered around community education, lung cancer screening, and diagnosis and treatment.

According to the Lung Cancer Alliance, the disease kills more people in the United States than does breast, prostate, colon, and pancreatic cancers combined.

To donate, whether it be time or money, contact Skelton at bskelton@samhealth.org, or contact advocates at the Lung Cancer Alliance.





My Story

Lost in my thoughts with you in my mind
My heart aching badly my lungs in a bind
The tears keep flowing for I can't get them to stop
Feeling kind of dizzy, to my knees I drop

November 16th, the phone rang with bad news
I screamed to him, not my dad please tell me it's not true
Faster please faster, you have to get me there
I must tell him that I love him, he has to know I care

I see the flashing lights, I run to find my dad
I find him on the gurney, he looks up at me so sad
I love you daddy, I frantically scream
Please daddy please, tell me it's just a dream

The look in his eyes, said so much to me
I love you too, he said breathlessly
I had my time alone with you that day
Holding your hand all I could do is pray

Kissing your forehead, squeezing your toes
Telling you how much I love you and begging you not to go
As you slipped away from us, you were freed from all your pain
Our hearts were forever broken, so many memories remain

Dad, you will never be forgotten.  I love you with all my heart
One day we will meet up again and never have to part
So until that day comes, please remember to give me signs
I keep talking to you daily and adding to my shrine

                          By Brandy Skelton, 2007





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thompson's Mills State Park in Shedd, Oregon

Copyright Ronald Borst - April 6, 2017