Saturday, October 17, 2015

Photos From This Week: A Ronald Borst Photography Gallery of Pictures and Tips

"I just walked in to the place, and it was alive. I was lucky to have a camera on me." -  RLB






















My tips for the week are about fast shutters. Fast, meaning fast enough to catch the scene. If the setting is a static one, then we can follow the 1/100 Rule. I do not like the rule, myself, and I tend to double that number, making the rule foolproof. If you have a 50mm on a crop-sensor camera, 1/160 is the minimum shutter allowed for hand-held photography.

Tip #1:
As the lens gets larger, so does the amount of shutter speed needed to eliminate handshake. As we said earlier, 50mm is 1/100 second shutter on a full-frame camera. But, 300mm will require a 1/800 shutter for crisp photos.

Tip #2:
If you have Image Stabilization, or any other system like it...use it. But, what about when we have no stabilizing options? Well, we always have options. What we need to remember here, is to breathe. If I know that I am pushing boundaries and I need to be still, I take a breath and then fire the shutter. This helps capture the shot at the best possible point of my being still. I also do not ever lean on myself, If I am kneeling, my elbows will not rest on my knee.

Tip #3:
As a rule, go to extremes when it comes to efficiency. Meaning, if we need an ISO of 1200 to get a 1/2500 shutter to catch a hummingbird, then do that quickly. Don't wait to learn the hard way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thompson's Mills State Park in Shedd, Oregon

Copyright Ronald Borst - April 6, 2017